This brand new section from March 2020 onwards will specialize in material showing evidence of historical cycles, and specifically, what I call 'The Pulsation of the Commons'.
The main sources are:
- The work of Peter Pogany in Rethinking the World, i.e. the pendulum between stable systems and chaotic transitions
- The HANDY Model for Civilisational Collapse Scenarios, and the case studies provided by Mark Whitaker in: Political Origins of Environmental Degradation and the Environmental Origins of Axial Religions
- The Double Movement within capitalist society, i.e. the lib/lab pendulum identified by Karl Polanyi in the Great Transformation
However, human society is marked by 'cultural evolution' (Pogany) and like in the bio-physical world, there is an 'arrow of time', and in the case of human society, overall, an increase in social complexity and a accumulation of scientific and technical knowledge. This evolution of societal regimes involving greater and greater numbers of people, has to be coupled with the pulsation paradigm. This gives us an indication of an evolving spiral, in which thermodynamic cycles, socio-economic regimes, and human 'modes of apprehension (Gebser, Pogany), correlate to each other.
Provided by Robert Conan Ryan, first draft:
"4 paradigms (Scientific, Cultural, Political, Technomic)
- Kuhn and Toulmin synthesis
- Kuhn: black swans (anomalies) and revolutionary periods of theory (new fields of theory)
- Toulmin: scientific instruments (scale breakthroughs) and change in the philosophy of science ( new commonsense logic)
- updated Graves spiral dynamics;
- 80 year Generational conflict historical cycles;
- Turchin secular cycles and neo-marxist class conflict cliohistory;
- Historical Grand Narratives (dialectic idealistic waves) in the formal humanities;
- educational/academic and journalistic crisis cycles (culture media wars)
- Political Compass Cycle (Kligsberg foreign policy cycle,
- plus an updated Schleisinger Domestic Policy cycle, creates a four phase political quadrant bias cycle
- Carlota Perez Paradigm shifts and 4- S curves of industrial creative destruction; sectoral models of economic progress and dematerialization; Neo-Georgist land cycle ; Neo-Austrian and Post-Keynesian credit leverage cycles.
The "Fifth Paradigm"
... is a mystery of the natural environment risk cycles ...loke floods,, hurricanes, climate volatility,, etc....which is an area that requires more simulation science advances before we can add it to this model."
Pages in category "P2P Cycles"
The following 59 pages are in this category, out of 59 total.
- Carlota Perez on Technological Revolutions and Financial Capital
- Conflict and the Progress of Civilization from Primates to Robots
- Creation of Inequality
- CS Holling’s Four Stages of a System’s Growth and Decline
- Cultural Multilevel Selection Theory
- Cyclical Theory of Elite Competition, Extraction and Exhaustion
- Pattern Dynamics
- Perezian’ Theory of Techno-Economic Paradigms as the Analytical Framework
- Peter Pogany
- Peter Turchin on Ultrasociality
- Place of Peer Production in the Next Long Wave
- Political Origins of Environmental Degradation and the Environmental Origins of Axial Religions
- Prosperous Way Down
- Pulsing and Cultural Evolution in Agricultural States
- Pulsing Paradigm