This brand new section from March 2020 onwards will specialize in material showing evidence of historical cycles, and specifically, what I call 'The Pulsation of the Commons'.
The main sources are:
- The work of Peter Pogany in Rethinking the World, i.e. the pendulum between stable systems and chaotic transitions
- The HANDY Model for Civilisational Collapse Scenarios, and the case studies provided by Mark Whitaker in: Political Origins of Environmental Degradation and the Environmental Origins of Axial Religions
- The Double Movement within capitalist society, i.e. the lib/lab pendulum identified by Karl Polanyi in the Great Transformation
However, human society is marked by 'cultural evolution' (Pogany) and like in the bio-physical world, there is an 'arrow of time', and in the case of human society, overall, an increase in social complexity and a accumulation of scientific and technical knowledge. This evolution of societal regimes involving greater and greater numbers of people, has to be coupled with the pulsation paradigm. This gives us an indication of an evolving spiral, in which thermodynamic cycles, socio-economic regimes, and human 'modes of apprehension (Gebser, Pogany), correlate to each other.
Pages in category "P2P Cycles"
The following 53 pages are in this category, out of 53 total.
- Carlota Perez on Technological Revolutions and Financial Capital
- Conflict and the Progress of Civilization from Primates to Robots
- Creation of Inequality
- CS Holling’s Four Stages of a System’s Growth and Decline
- Cultural Multilevel Selection Theory
- Cyclical Theory of Elite Competition, Extraction and Exhaustion
- Pattern Dynamics
- Perezian’ Theory of Techno-Economic Paradigms as the Analytical Framework
- Peter Pogany
- Peter Turchin on Ultrasociality
- Place of Peer Production in the Next Long Wave
- Political Origins of Environmental Degradation and the Environmental Origins of Axial Religions
- Prosperous Way Down
- Pulsing and Cultural Evolution in Agricultural States
- Pulsing Paradigm