FOSS Organizations Directory
Compiled by Donnie Maclurcan:
This is a list of key organisations, companies, entities and movements seeking to create more equitable access to FOSS. I have alphabetised it to make things a little easier. When this list is adequate we can perhaps add our personal links to others within these groups. Feel free to edit/add to the general list and later we can work on a useful taxonomy.
- Apache Software Foundation - Supports the development of a number of open-source software projects, including the apache webserver. Includes license information, latest news, and project sites.
- Australian Service for Knowledge of Open Source Software - A national focal point in Australia for advice, management, governance, storage and dissemination of FOSS for research and higher education.
- Bar Camp - an international network of user generated conferences/unconference - open, participatory workshop-events, whose content is provided by participants.
- FLOSS WORLD - A project aiming to strengthen Europe's leadership in research into FLOSS and open standards, building a global constituency with partners from Argentina, Brazil, Bulgaria, China, Croatia, India, Malaysia and South Africa.
- FOSS Bazaar - An open community of technology and industry leaders who are collaborating to accelerate adoption of free and open source software in enterprise.
- FOSS Learning Centre - An international non-profit organization serving as an information and training hub for conferences, webcasts, online videos, and workshops providing information about free open source software.
- FOSSACT - A users group focussed on promoting and supporting the use of free and open source software in business and government in the Australian Capital Territory and surrounding regions.
- Free Software Foundation - Non-profit organization dedicated to eliminating restrictions on copying, redistributing, understanding, and modifying computer programs.
- Free Software Foundation Europe - European branch of the FSF. Includes news and events listings, press information, and a document archive.
- Free/Open source research community - A community in which information will be freely exchanged, so that we may further the understanding of open source and its implications outside the realm of software development.
- GNU Project - A project to develop a complete free Unix-like operating system.
- GOSLING - an informal learning and knowledge-sharing community who actively assist the engagement of free/libre open source methods and software solutions in Canadian Federal and other government operations.
- International Centre for FOSS (ICFOSS) - An organization set up by the Government of Kerala, India, to leverage the early lead of Kerala State in FOSS (2001 onwards)
- International Open Source Network - a Centre of Excellence for FOSS in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Jabber Software Foundation - Not-for-profit organization that oversees the general development of XMPP and maintains the Jabber Enhancement Proposals.
- Linux Australia - the peak body for Linux User Groups (LUGs) around Australia
- Linux Foundation - A non-profit consortium dedicated to fostering the growth of Linux, and promoting standardization and technical collaboration. Provides details of activities and working groups, a collaboration forum, and developer services.
- LUGs - Linux Users groups existing in Australian cities.
- Mozilla Foundation - A non-profit organization that promotes openness, innovation and participation on the Internet.
- One Laptop Per Child - A non-profit association dedicated to creating educational opportunities for the world's poorest children by providing each child with a rugged, low-cost, low-power, connected laptop with content and software designed for collaborative, joyful, self-empowered learning.
- Open Invention Network - An intellectual property company that was formed to promote Linux. It acquires patents and makes them available royalty-free to any company, institution or individual that agrees not to assert its patents against the Linux System.
- Open Knowledge Foundation - A not-for-profit organization promoting open knowledge: that's any kind of information
- Open Solutions Alliance - A nonprofit, vendor-neutral consortium dedicated to driving the adoption of comprehensive open source business solutions.
- Open Source Academy - UK government portal which aims to encourage the use of Open Source Software by local authorities. Offers opportunities for knowledge sharing and practical advice.
- Open Source Advisory Service - Promotes awareness and understanding of the legal, social, technical and economic issues that arise when educational institutions engage with free and open source software. News, publications, events, and FAQ.
- Open Source Automation Development Lab (OSADL) - Aims to promote and support the development of Open Source software for the automation industry.
- Open Source Developers Club - A federation of PHP, Python and Perl user groups.
- Open Source for America - A cross-section of technology industry leaders, associations, non-governmental organizations, communities, and academic/research institutions, promoting better utilization of free and open source software in the US Government.