From Tara Hunt :
"A Social Capitalist does alot of raising Social Capital and avoids losing social capital. Social Capitalists definitely spend more time giving it away in positive directions, building trust. A Social Capitalist is, by nature, more concerned with helping others raise social capital." (http://spreadloveproject.com/2007/09/22/social-capitalists/)
Ways to raise social capital:
- Give it away. Help others connect. Use it for doing nice things for others.
- Use it wisely. Never betray trust or use it haphazardly.
- Produce awesome stuff that people admire. Make beautiful art. Code the next cool website.
- Spread love. Make others feel great about themselves.
- Be human. Be accessible. Listen. Treat everyone with similar respect.
Ways to lose social capital:
- Horde it. Only use it for your own benefit or refuse to spend it.
- Show it off. Try to pull weight with your social capital. “Don’t you know who I am?”
- Try to take credit for other people’s good work.
- Take advantage of others who are trusting.
- Badmouth other people. Especially those with alot of social capital.
- Be snobby. Only act nice to those who can do something for you."
The Social Capitalist wiki page at http://spreadloveproject.pbwiki.com/SocialCapitalists
See also the Spread Love Project from Tara Hunt.