Salinas Cooperative - Ecuador

From P2P Foundation
Jump to navigation Jump to search

= ambitious cooperative effort in the Ecuadorian Andes, combining commons and market logics


Massimo de Angelis has a very detailed description of the Salinas experience at


"There are about 6000 people living in this area. A middle aged man working in the youth co-operative that manages the hostel where I am staying with my family tells me with some pride that 95% of the population is part of the “organisation” (the other 5% apparently choose not the be in it, but they are benefited by the organisation nevertheless, since they sell their produce to it). The “organization” is in reality a quick name for several associations, foundations, consortia and cooperatives, ranging from cheese producers to textile, ceramic and chocolate making, herbal medicine and trash collection, a radio station an hotel, a hostel, and a “office of community tourism”." (