Open Media Commons
"Sun's Open Media Commons is an open-source community project to develop royalty-free codecs and digital rights management (DRM) solutions. The goals of the OMC are to develop an open-source, royalty-free solution for the distribution of digital content, focused on authenticating people and roles, not just devices; to address the application of DRM technology to a wide range of content and situations, including personal rights management, the privacy of health records and compliance management for businesses dealing with Sarbanes-Oxley; and to create an open environment where creators, content owners, consumers, network operators, technology providers and consumer electronics device manufacturers can work together to address the technical problems associated with DRM." (http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/20060322062359676)
- Develop open, royalty-free digital rights management and codec solutions.
- Promote the creation, duplication and distribution of digital content and assure that creators and owners get compensated.
- Collaborate with like-minded open-source communities.
- Influence standards organizations.
- Innovation flourishes through openness - open standards, reference architectures and implementations.
- All creators are users and many users are creators.
- Content creators and holders of copyright should be compensated.
- Respect for users' privacy is essential.
- Code (both laws and technology) should encourage innovation."