= “OpenDesk is a collection of simple furniture, designed to be cut by a CNC machine. Download and print it yourself or have it made for you by a local maker". - Joni Steiner OpenDesk Designer & Co-Founder
URL = https://www.opendesk.cc/
"OpenDesk uses digital fabrication to connect you directly with designers and makers. OpenDesk is a global platform for local making. You can use it to download, make and buy furniture for your work space." (http://openitagency.eu/open-desk-open/)
"The OpenDesk team selects designers that participate in the official design catalogue. Community members can publish their designs in a community section."
Designs can be downloaded for non-commercial use.
Opendesk is an online platform connecting customers, makers and designers.
When customers buy an Opendesk product directly from a registered maker they pay the sum of:
1. manufacturing cost: fabrication, finishing and any other costs as set by the maker (excluding any services like delivery or on-site assembly);
2. design fee: as 8% percent of the manufacturing cost;
3. platform fee: as 12% percent of the manufacturing cost (OpenDesk);
4. channel fee: as 18% percent of the manufacturing cost (OpenDesk).
Designers who participate sell under your their name and brand and — within the structure of the OpenDesk business model — set their own pricing for commercial and non-commercial use, choose license terms and retain all the rights to their work, including the right to sell anywhere else. Professional makers with access to a CNC workshop, when joining the platform, are granted a commercial license to make Opendesks. Modes of production Designs are contributed by the participating designers; local makers produce the desired furniture inhouse in a nearby makerspace or professional fabrication lab."
• The project is owned by Fabbed Ltd traded as OpenDesk. • The project as such is not replicable but can be used as an inspiration.
- Product Hacking
- in French: http://www.lesoir.be/302275/article/styles/air-du-temps/2013-08-20/des-meubles-open-source-pour-ne-plus-aller-chez-ikea
- interview with founder, http://makingsociety.com/2013/08/a-smart-open-design-startup-is-born-opendesk/
- opendesk is NOT open source, http://openitagency.eu/open-desk-open/