Shameek Chakravarty on Connecting Indian Urban Consumers Directly to Organic Farmers through Farmizen
How the regenerative agriculture revolution starts by connecting small holder farmers in rural India with customers in the city.
Today I’m talking to Shameek Chakravarty cofounder of Farmizen based in Bangalore India, on Farmizen everyone can rent mini-plots of farmland close to the city. You choose your vegetables and farmers then grow them organically for you and you can keep track of the harvest using the app. Basically it is a real life, organic, version of Farmville.
We discussed the lives of Indian farmers and what challenges they face every day and how Farmizen is trying to fix those challenges.
- remove short term incentives for the farmers and they will take care of the land (farmers working with Farmizen receive 4/5 times as much and it is predictable)
- historically India had a very interesting natural farming practises, like Zero budget natural farming which Farmizen is bringing back with modern technology
- when you reconnect consumers with farmers and the land, trust will build
Tips from Shameek for investors who want to start investing in the Regenerative Agriculture space:
- have a much longer investment horizon
- both India and China are very interesting markets to look at from a regenerative agriculture point of view. Their soil quality has been deteriorated significantly."
- Recent Bloomberg item about Farmizen:
- "If you want to receive an email when I upload a new episode, subscribe here", at eepurl.com/cxU33P