Accelerating Transformations to Sustainable Food Systems
= "understanding the power and potential of food systems transformations to address critical issues globally".
"The Global Alliance for the Future of Food and Biovision Foundation for Ecological Development collaborated to create Beacons of Hope: Accelerating Transformations to Sustainable Food Systems in order to understand the power and potential of food systems transformations to address critical issues globally, across different contexts, and in different places." (https://foodsystemstransformations.org/about/)
"The initiative seeks to:
- Understand the current research and initiatives looking at transitions toward sustainable food systems around the globe;
- Select or develop a Food Systems Transformation Framework drawing from the existing literature and practice;
- Apply cases drawn from the initiatives review to the Food Systems Transformation Framework to deeply understand the context in which transitions are unfolding; and
- Document the positive impacts of transitions toward more sustainable food systems and develop recommendations for supporting and accelerating the transformation process.
Key elements of the research include:
- Developing a methodology that allows for the screening of food systems initiatives according to their approach and path of transformation;
- Identifying 21 initiatives (Beacons of Hope) and examining common patterns among them, their transformation process, and the common challenges faced, as well as distilling lessons from their experience related to sustainability transformations; and
- Developing core elements of a Food Systems Transformation Framework that can be applied, tested, and used by other food systems initiatives."