= a Canadian advocate for open and participatory learning
URL = http://www.downes.ca/
"I want and visualize and aspire toward a system of society and learning where each person is able to rise to his or her fullest potential without social or financial encumberance, where they may express themselves fully and without reservation through art, writing, athletics, invention, or even through their avocations or lifestyle.
Where they are able to form networks of meaningful and rewarding relationships with their peers, with people who share the same interests or hobbies, the same political or religious affiliations - or different interests or affiliations, as the case may be.
This to me is a society where knowledge and learning are public goods, freely created and shared, not hoarded or withheld in order to extract wealth or influence.
This is what I aspire toward, this is what I work toward". — Stephen Downes, http://www.downes.ca/vision.htm
- Stephen Downes on Connective Knowledge
- Stephen Downes on E-Learning
- Stephen Downes on Open Sourcing Learning
- Stephen Downes on the Future of Education
- Stephen Downes on Openness in Education
- Stephen Downes on Access to Knowledge
- Critique of Home Schooling by Stephen Downes
- Essays on Open Educational Resources and Copyright
- Copyright, Ethics and Theft
- On the Human Values Being Endangered by the IP Maximalists
- Reusable Media, Social Software and Openness in Education
- Economics in a DRM-Free World
- Funding Models for Open Educational Resources
- Governance of Volunteer-Driven Open Resource Communities
- Defining Open Educational Resources
- Ownership and Learning
- Open Peer Accreditation
- Learning and Performance Support Systems