Internet Work-Around for Egypt and Others
The situation in Egypt inspired much discussion about work-around for situations when the government (or Internet Service Providers) wants to shut down the Internet. Here are some of the suggestions made in relation to Egypt.
1) Toll-free international dial-up lines as well as free local access numbers to international dial-up.
2) Ship in (this should be a global program) solar-powered Internet nodes, creating a mesh network
3) Drop in Wi-Max hubs with satellite connections (no cost to end-users)
4) Put SMS gateways on all hubs
5) Free cell phones with SMS capability to any who need one (or an unregistered unlocked one)
6) Support the Google-Twitter voice into twitter initiative
7) Explore and test microwave and vsat options