Decision-Support, also known in professional circles as Intelligence, with sub-sets by community, e.g. secret intelligence, military intelligence, commercial intelligence, energy intelligence, is a process consisting of the following functions:
- What does the "decider" (person or group] need to know?
- When do they need to know?
- In what form do they need to be informed?
- What is the context within which they will use the decision-support being provided?
Collection Management & Collection
- Where can we FIND this information at low cost within our own knowledge bases?
- Where can we GET this information from an ally or acquaintance at low cost?
- Where can we BUY this information at low to medium cost within our time and security parameters?
- How can we TASK a specific party to collect this information at a relatively high cost within our time and security parameters?
- Machine-speed processing of large streams of digital information
- Human processing of large quantities of analog information
- Machine analytics
- Human analytics
- Group analytics
- Visualization & presentation
- Does the intelligence (decision-support) fully satisfy the original requirement?
- If not, why not and what more can be done to satisfy the original requirement?
- What new requirements are inspired by the delivery of the decision-support in the context of changing circumstances?
Repeat the cycle....