= authorities archiving when, where and who you talk to, email or connect to (websites, FTP etc).
Example: EU Directive
"On 15 March 2006 the EU formally adopted Directive 2006/24/EC, on “the retention of data generated or processed in connection with the provision of publicly available electronic communications services or of public communications networks” The Directive requires Member States to ensure that communications providers must retain, for a period of between 6 months and 2 years, necessary data as specified in the Directive
- to trace and identify the source of a communication;
- to trace and identify the destination of a communication;
- to identify the date, time and duration of a communication;
- to identify the type of communication;
- to identify the communication device;
- to identify the location of mobile communication equipment."