Critical Questions regarding IP and participation
From a commentary by Martin Springer at http://camorra.org/swann/2007/01/08/who-controls-a-feed/
1. Who controls the platform to protect intellectual property?
- one or a few private enterprises
- many small enterprises or individuals
- governments elected by the people
2. How can we prevent that the platform will be misused to discriminate value-chain users?
- competition law
- open standards
- free and open source software (FOSS)
- RF (royalty free) patent policies
- flat hierarchies (every user can choose his role in the value-chain)
3. How can we prevent that protection of intellectual property frustrates innovation?
- enforcement of copyright law (e.g. Public Domain)
- support of copyright exemptions (e.g. education, fair use,…)
- open licenses (e.g. Open Content, Open Source)
- new business models (e.g. based on digital services instead of physical objects)
- new payment models (e.g. Open Money)