Books that relate to peer to peer; the open paradigm; and the Commons. Feel free to add your own reviews.
- Support the P2P Foundation by buying your books at our Bookstore
- Check out these P2P Book Authors Talking about their Books, i.e. a list of audio and video interviews with authors talking about their p2p-related work
See our recommended selections:
- 1 The Top 20 Books on Peer to Peer
- 1.1 On Peer Production in general
- 1.2 On P2P Governance and Property
- 1.3 On Political and Social Change
- 1.4 On P2P Business Change
- 1.5 On P2P Culture
- 1.6 On P2P Economics
- 1.7 On P2P Education
- 1.8 On P2P Spirituality
- 1.9 On P2P Technology
- 1.10 On Human Cooperation
- 2 Other Recommended Books
- 3 Internet Classics by Year
- 4 Full Directory
The Top 20 Books on Peer to Peer
On Peer Production in general
- The Wealth of Networks. Yochai Benkler.
- The Success of Open Source. Steve Weber.
- Democratizing Innovation. Erik von Hippel.
- Wikinomics. Don Tapscott.
- From Production to Produsage. Axel Bruns. (see the article on Produsage)
- Here Comes Everybody. Clay Shirky.
- Nowtopia: How Pirate Programmers, Outlaw Bicyclists, and Vacant-lot Gardeners are Inventing the Future Today. Chris Carlsson. AK Press, 2008
- The Pirate's Dilemma. Matt Mason.
- Capitalism 3.0. Peter Barnes.
- Hacking Capitalism. Johan Soderbergh
- The Long Tail. Chris Anderson.
- The Wisdom of Crowds. James Surowiecki.
On Free and Open Source Software production and philosophy specifically
- The Success of Open Source. Steven Weber.
- The Cathedral and the Bazaar. Eric Raymond.
- Open Life. Henrik Ingo.
- Perspectives on Free and Open Source Software. An MIT reader, 2005
- Hacking Capitalism. Johan Soderbergh.
- Decoding Liberation
On P2P Governance and Property
- The Future of the Internet - and how to stop it. Jonathan Zittrain on protecting a free and Generative Internet
- The Success of Open Source. Steven Weber on the governance of open source communities
On P2P Management and Leadership
- The Myth of Leadership. Jeffrey Nielsen.
- The Hacker Ethic. Pekka Himanen.
- The Play Ethic. Pat Kane.
- Cyberchiefs. By Mathew O'Neill. Excellent monograph with 4 case studies.
- Three Ways of Getting Things Done: modes of corporate governance
On Peer Property and the Commons
- Code. Ed. by Rishab Ayer Ghosh.
- The Rule of Property. Karen Coulter.
- Common as Air. Lewis Hyde. 2010
On Political and Social Change
- The Hacker Manifesto. McKenzie Wark.
- Massimo De Angelis: The Beginning of History. Value Struggles and Global Capital. Pluto, 2007: about the Commons as a political movement inaugurating a new era of history
- Cyber Marx. Nick Dyer-Whiteford.
- Gramsci is Dead. Richard Day.
- Code 2.0. Lawrence Lessig.
- Viral Spiral. David Bollier. An account of the emergence of the contemporary Commons movement
On power in networks (Protocollary Power):
- Protocol and The Exploit: How Control Exists after Decentralization. Alexander Galloway et al.
- David Grewal: Network Power, how standards come about in non-free ways
- Theory of Power. By Jack Vail.
On open and collaborative government:
- Wiki Government. How Technology Can Make Government Better, Democracy Stronger, and Citizens More Powerful. Beth Noveck. Brookings Institution Press, 2009: on the emergence of Collaborative Democracy,i.e. soliciting expertise from self-selected peers working together in groups in open networks
On the political implications of the hacker and free software movements:
- Johan Soderbergh: Hacking Capitalism
- Decoding Liberation
- Christopher Kely. Two Bits, on the strategy of Recursive Publics
- Abstract Activism. Otto von Busch and Karl Palmås.
On digital activism and the networked alterglobalization movement:
- Networking Futures. Jeffrey Juris, 'the bible of the autonomous movements'
- Netroots Rising. How a citizen army of bloggers and online activists is changing American politics. by Lowell Feld and Nate Wilcox. 2008
- Digital Activism Decoded. Ed. by Mary Joyce. Idebate Press, 2010 
On P2P Business Change
- Tapscott Don et al. Wikinomics
- Brafman, Ori and Rod A. Beckstrom, The Starfish and the Spider: The Unstoppable Power of Leaderless Organizations, Portfolio, 2006.
- Chesbrough, Henry, Open Innovation — The New Imperative for Creating and Profiting from Technology, Harvard Business School Press, 2003.
- Li, Charlene and Josh Bernoff, Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies, Harvard Business School Press, 2008.
- Malone, Thomas W. et al, 1) Inventing the Organizations of the 21st Century, MIT Press, 2003; 2) Coordination Theory and Collaboration Technology, Erlbaum, 2001.
- Mulholland, Andy et al, 1) Mesh Collaboration, Evolved Technologist, 2008l 2) Mashup Corporations: The End of Business as Usual, Evolved Technologist, 2008.
- Thompson, Ken. Bioteams: on Bioteaming
On the Sharing Economy:
- The Mesh: Why the Future of Business is Sharing Lisa Gansky. Portfolio / Penguin Group, FALL 2010
- What's Mine is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption, by Rachel Botsman and Roo Rogers (Fall, HarperCollins), 2010
On the new economic rules:
- Hayes, Tom, Jump Point: How Network Culture is Revolutionizing Business, McGraw-Hill, 2008.
- Howe, Jeff, Crowdsourcing: Why the Power of the Crowd Is Driving the Future of Business, Crown Business, 2008.
- Kelly, Kevin, New Rules for the New Economy, Penguin, 1999.
- Fingar, Peter, and Ronald Aronica, Dot Cloud. Meghan-Kiffer Press, 2009.
On P2P Culture
- Smart Mobs. Howard Rheingold
- The Play Ethic. By Pat Kane.
- Hacker Ethic. Pekka Himanen.
- Knowing Knowledge. George Siemens.
- Open Culture and the Nature of Networks. Ed. by Felix Stalder.
- Slow Living. Wency Parkins and Geoffrey Craig.
- Understanding Knowledge as a Commons. Eleanor Ostrom et al.
- James Boyle. The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind. 
- Sharing and the Creative Economy: Culture in the Internet Age. Philippe Aigrain, 2010.
On P2P Economics
- Christian Siefkes: From Exchange to Contributions: alternative proposal for an effort-sharing/task-auctioning based system of organizing the economy
Books Recommended by Dave Pollard on Ecological and community-based economics:
- Herman Daly on Steady-State Economics
- Roger Douthwaite's Short Circuit, a blueprint for a community-based economy
- Thomas Princen explains why we need to evolve to a Logic of Sufficiency
- Peter Brown: The Commonwealth of Life
On P2P Education
- Education in the Creative Economy: Knowledge and Learning in the Age of Innovation. Edited by Daniel Araya & Michael A. Peters. Peter Lang, 2010. Collection of essays with a sizeable number of essays concentrating on p2p thematics.
- Knowing Knowledge. By George Siemens. An exploration of participative learning.
- Everything is Miscellaneous. By David Weinberger. How we are changing the way we organize knowledge.
- The Edu-factory Collective (eds) (2009) Toward a Global Autonomous University. Cognitive Labor, The Production of Knowledge, and Exodus from the Education Factory. New York: Autonomedia, 2009 
- Wikiworld: Political Economy of Digital Literacy, and the Road from Social to Socialist Media. Juha Suoranta - Tere Vadén. 
On P2P Spirituality
- Participatory Spirituality - A Farewell to Authoritarian Religion. By John Heron.
- Digital Dharma. Steven Vedro.
- A Reenchanted World: The Quest For A New Kinship With Nature by James William Gibson. Metropolitan Books,
- The Ascent of Humanity by Charles Eisenstein.
- The Participatory Mind by Henryk Skolimowski
On P2P Technology
- The Internet of People for a Post-Oil World. By Christian Nold and Rob van Kranenburg. Situated Technologies Pamphlets 8: Spring 2011 
- Open-Source Lab: How to Build Your Own Hardware and Reduce Research Costs by Joshua Pearce
On Human Cooperation
- The Compassionate Instinct: The Science of Human Goodness, coedited by Dacher Keltner, Jason Marsh, and Jeremy Adam Smith (January, WW Norton), 2009
- Why We Cooperate, by Michael Tomasello (Boston Review Books), 2009
- The Age of Empathy: Nature's Lessons for a Kinder Society, by Frans de Waal (Harmony Books), 2009
Other Recommended Books
Practical How To Books
Online Books, including books-in-progress
We Think. Charles Leadbeater.
Older Classics that are available online
The Natural Economic Order. By Silvio Gesell.
The New State. Mary Parker Follet.
Internet Classics by Year
Selected via Adam Thierer :
- George Gilder – Telecosm: How Infinite Bandwith Will Revolutionize Our World
- Cass Sunstein - Republic.com
- Lawrence Lessig – The Future of Ideas: The Fate of the Commons in a Connected World
- Siva Vaidhyanathan – Copyrights and Copywrongs: The Rise of Intellectual Property and How it Threatens Creativity
- Manuel Castells – The Internet Galaxy: Reflections on the Internet, Business, and Society
- Paulina Borsook – Cyberselfish: A Critical Romp Through the Terribly Libertarian Culture of High Tech
- David Weinberger - Small Pieces Loosely Joined: A Unified Theory of the Web
- Howard Reingold – Smart Mobs: The Next Social Revolution
- Milton L. Mueller - Ruling the Root: Internet Governance and the Taming of Cyberspace
- Richard A. Spinello - Regulating Cyberspace: The Policies and Technologies of Control
- Stan Liebowitz – Re-Thinking the Network Economy: The True Forces that Drive the Digital Marketplace
- Adam D. Thierer & Clyde Wayne Crews (eds.) - Who Rules the Net?: Internet Governance and Jurisdiction
- Shanthi Kalathil & Taylor C. Boas - Open Networks, Closed regimes: The Impact of the Internet on Authoritarian Rule
- William Landes and Richard Posner – The Economic Structure of Intellectual Property Law
- Lawrence Lessig - Free Culture: The Nature and Future of Creativity
- Dan Gillmor – We the Media: Grassroots Journalism By the People, For the People
- William W. Fisher – Promises to Keep: Technology, Law, and the Future of Entertainment
- Joe Trippi – The Revolution Will Not Be Televised: Democracy, The Internet, and the Overthrow of Everything
- Siva Vaidhyanathan - The Anarchist in the Library: How the Clash between Freedom and Control is Hacking the Real World and Crashing the System
- Steven Weber - The Success of Open Source
- Alexander R. Galloway - Protocol: How Control Exists after Decentralization
- John Battelle – The Search: How Google and its Rivals Rewrote the Rules of Business and Transformed Our Culture
- Edward Castronova - Synthetic Worlds: The Business and Culture of Online Games
- Yochai Benkler - The Wealth of Networks: How Social Production Transforms Markets and Freedom
- Chris Anderson – The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More
- Jack Goldsmith & Tim Wu - Who Controls the Internet? Illusions of a Borderless World
- Henry Jenkins - Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide
- Lawrence Lessig - Code: And Other Laws of Cyberspace, Version 2.0
- Cass Sunstein – Infotopia: How Many Minds Produce Knowledge
- Ori Brafman & Rod A. Beckstrom – The Starfish and the Spider: The Unstoppable Power of Leaderless Organizations
- Daniel Solove - The Future of Reputation: Gossip, Rumor, and Privacy on the Internet
- David Weinberger - Everything Is Miscellaneous: The Power of the New Digital Disorder
- Tarleton Gillespie - Wired Shut: Copyright and the Shape of Digital Culture
- Steve Talbott - Devices of the Soul: Battling for Our Selves in an Age of Machines
- Jeff Chester - Digital Destiny: New Media and the Future of Democracy
- Jonathan Zittrain - The Future of the Internet – And How to Stop It
- John Palfrey & Urs Gasser - Born Digital: Understanding the First Generation of Digital Natives
- Clay Shirky – Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing without Organizations
- Nick Carr – The Big Switch: Rewiring the World, from Edison to Google
- Jeanne Pia Mifsud Bonnici - Self-Regulation in Cyberspace
- James Bessen and Michael J. Meurer – Patent Failure: How Judges, Bureaucrats, and Lawyers Put Innovators at Risk
- Michele Boldrin & David K. Levine – Against Intellectual Monopoly
- Don Tapscott & Anthony D. Williams – Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything
- Lee Siegel – Against the Machine: Being Human in the Age of the Electronic Mob
- Lawrence Lessig – Remix: Making Art and Commerce Thrive in the Hybrid Economy
- Matt Mason – The Pirate’s Dilemma: How Youth Culture Is Reinventing Capitalism
- Don Tapscott — Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World
- Chris Anderson – Free: The Future of a Radical Price
- Dawn C. Nunziato - Virtual Freedom: Net Neutrality and Free Speech in the Internet Age
- David Bollier - Viral Spiral: How the Commoners Built a Digital Republic of Their Own
- David Post – In Search of Jefferson’s Moose: Notes on the State of Cyberspace
- Lee A. Bygrave & Jon Bing (eds) – Internet Governance: Infrastructure and Institutions
- Manuel Castells – Communication Power
- Jeff Jarvis - What Would Google Do?
- James Boyle – The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind
- Scott Rosenberg - Say Everything: How Blogging Began, What It’s Becoming, and Why It Matters
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Adam Saunders – Wired for Innovation: How Information Technology is Reshaping the Economy
- Matthew Scott Hindman -The Myth of Digital Democracy
Support the P2P Foundation by buying your books at our Bookstore
While by no means identical to the P2P Foundation approach, this booklist on left-libertarianism is of interest, as it refers to traditions aiming to marry liberty and equality.
Pages in category "Books"
The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 2,219 total.(previous page) (next page)
- Abstract Activism
- Abundance - The Future Is Better Than You Think
- Abundant Community
- Abundant Energy Revolution
- Access Controlled
- Access Denied
- Access Principle
- Access to Knowledge
- Access to Knowledge in the Age of Intellectual Property
- Accounting Principles for a Participatory Economy
- Acquisitive Society
- Action Leadership as a Participatory Paradigm
- Activating the Urban Commons Through Sharing Cities
- African Digital Commons
- After Capitalism
- After Hegemony
- After the Future
- After the Nation State
- After the Software Wars
- Against Intellectual Monopoly
- Against the Smart City
- Age of Empathy
- Age of Surveillance Capitalism
- Agenda for a New Economy
- Agents of Alternatives
- Agriculture in Urban Planning
- Agro-Ecological Approaches to Agricultural Development
- Alanna Hartzok on Why the Earth Belongs to Everyone
- Alasdair Roberts on the End of Protests
- Alex Williams and Nick Srnicek on Inventing the Future Based on Full Automation and a Universal Basic Income
- Alexander Douglas on the Philosophy Of Debt
- Alexander Galloway on Protocollary Power
- Algorithmic Sustainable Design
- Algorithms of Capital
- Algorithms of Oppression
- All Rise
- Almanaque Azul Panamá, Guía de Viajes/es
- Alone Together
- Alpha Lo on Gift Circles
- Alphabet versus the Goddess
- Alternative Economics, Alternative Societies
- Alternative Food Geographies
- Alternative Internet
- Alternative Modes of Governance
- Alternative Pathways in Science and Industry
- Ambient Commons
- Ambient Findability
- America beyond Capitalism
- America Beyond Capitalism
- Analysis of Financial Terrorism in America
- Anarchist in the Library
- Anarchy as Order
- Anatomy of a Money-Like Informational Commodity
- Anatomy of Revolution
- Andrew McAfee on Enterprise 2.0
- Andy Oram on the FLOSS Manuals Project
- Animals as Persons
- Anne Ryan on Enough is Plenty
- Another Future is Possible
- Another Production is Possible
- Anthropological Trompe l’Oeil for a Common World
- Anthropology and the Economy of Sharing
- Anthropology of Economy
- Anthropology of Unequal Society
- Anti-Democratic Tradition in Western Thought
- Anticapitalism and Culture
- Antifragile Things That Gain From Disorder
- Anupam Chander on the Electronic Silk Road
- Aram Sinnreich on the Piracy Crusade
- Archaeology of Wealth Differences
- Architecture of Authority
- Architecture of Open Source Applications
- Architecture of Resistance
- Arizmendiarrieta’s Thought on Cooperative Man
- Army of Davids
- Art and Energy
- Art of Anonymous Activism
- Art of Community
- Art of Free Cooperation
- Art of Not Being Governed
- Artistic Activism During Long 20th Century
- Artists Thinking about the Blockchain
- Ascent of Humanity
- Asian Cyberactivism
- Assemblage Theory and Social Complexity
- Associative Democracy
- Atlas Of Commoning
- Atlas of Radical Cartography
- Atlas of Transformation
- Attention Merchants
- Augmented Urban Spaces
- Auroville Economy Book
- Automatic Society
- Automating Inequality
- Automation, Accelerating Technology and the Economy of the Future
- Autonomy and Horizontalism in Argentina
- Autonomy and Self-Organization in the Revolutions of Everyday Life
- Autopsy of an Island Currency
- Awakening the Power of Families and Neighborhoods
- Axel Bruns on Produsage
- Axemaker's Gift
- Babylon and Beyond
- Back in the Box
- Bald Ambition
- Bankrupting Nature
- Barefoot into Cyberspace
- Basic Income and Stakeholder Grants as Cornerstones for an Egalitarian Capitalism
- Basic Income, Labor, and the Idea of Post-Capitalism
- Battle for the Life and Beauty of the Earth
- Before Writing
- Beginning of History
- Being and Technology
- Bernard Lietaer on Money and Sustainability
- Bernard Lietaer on New Money for a New World
- Best of Instructables
- Best of Rhizome
- Better Be Running
- Beyond Adversary Democracy
- Beyond Civilization
- Beyond Discipline
- Beyond Good and Evil Commons
- Beyond Marx
- Beyond Our Control
- Beyond Plutocracy
- Beyond the MOOC Hype
- Beyond the PLC
- Beyond the Profits System
- Beyond Western Economics
- Beyond WikiLeaks
- Bibliography of Remix Culture and Music
- Bibliography of the Commons
- Bibliography on Cooperative Universities
- Bibliography on Open Design and Distributed Manufacturing
- Bibliography on Peer Production
- Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy
- Big Switch
- Bio-Physical Triggers of Political Violence
- Biological Human
- Biology is Technology
- Biopolitics of the Multitude Versus the Hegemony of the People
- Bioregional Economy
- Biosphere and Noosphere Reader
- Bitcoin Software as Right-Wing Extremism
- Black Box Society
- Black Code
- Blessed Unrest
- Blockchain and the Law
- Blockchain as a Blueprint for a New Economy
- Blockchain as Blueprint for a New Economy
- Blockchain Revolution
- Blog Theory
- Blogging America
- Blue Economy
- Blue Gold
- Book of Abundance
- Book of Community
- Book of Peer Production
- Books on Building Online Community
- Books on Internet Radio
- Books on Social Change
- Bootstrapping Democracy in Brazil
- Born Digital
- Boy Kings
- Brave New War
- Brazil's Digital Culture
- Breaking Barriers
- Bubble and Beyond
- Buddhist Approach to Economic Transformation
- Building a Stakeholder Society as an Alternative to the Market and the State
- Building a Sustainable Economy in a World of Finite Resources
- Building a Whole Earth Economy through Right Relationship
- Building a Whole Earth Economy Through Right Relationship
- Building Consensus
- Building Democratic Alternatives Beyond Capitalism for Today and the Future
- Building Dynamic Relationships in the Global Digital Economy
- Building Fair and Sustainable Economies
- Building Open Source Hardware
- Building Social Business
- Building Sustainable Communities
- Building Web 2.0 Reputation Systems
- Building Web Reputation Systems