Vasilis Kostakis is Senior Research Fellow at the Ragnar Nurkse Department of Innovation and Governance, Tallinn University of Technology, and a Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society Affiliate, Harvard University. He is also the founder of the P2P Lab.
Vasilis Kostakis is Senior Research Fellow at the Ragnar Nurkse Department of Innovation and Governance, Tallinn University of Technology, and a Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society Affiliate, Harvard University.
He is also Visiting Scholar at the Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, Autonomous University of Barcelona; Visiting Research Fellow at the Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology, VU University Amsterdam; and Fellow at the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce.
Kostakis founded and coordinates the interdisciplinary research hub P2P Lab that investigates the socio-economic and political impact of free and open-source technologies. Moreover, he was the Research Coordinator (till February 2017) and now is a core member of the P2P Foundation, winner of the 2016 Golden Nica for Digital Communities. Further, he sits on the boards of commons-oriented start-ups and open access refereed journals journals.
Kostakis publishes, lectures, and consults governments and organizations on knowledge/information economy; political ecology and technology; urban and regional development with an emphasis on the use of distributed manufacturing; blockchain-based organization; and constructionist learning.
His work has appeared in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Portuguese, Korean, Romanian, Estonian, Finnish, Bosnian and Latvian as well as featured in several popular international media.
Vasilis is also an artist.
Recent research projects
- Currently Vasilis is leading the PHYGITAL project.
- See the completed, ongoing and future projects of the P2P Lab.
Ten selected recent academic publications
- Peer-to-Peer: The Commons Manifesto (book) draft
- The Convergence of Digital Commons with Local Manufacturing from a Degrowth Perspective: Two Illustrative Cases. site text
- Digital Economy and the Rise of Open Cooperativism: The Case of the Enspiral Network sitetext
- Blockchain and Value Systems in the Sharing Economy: The Illustrative Case of Backfeed. site text
- Towards a Political Ecology of the Digital Economy: Socio-environmental Implications of Two Value Models. site text
- Network Society and Future Scenarios for a Collaborative Economy (book). ebook site wiki
- Open Source 3D Printing as a Means of Learning: An Educational Experiment in Two High Schools in Greece. site text
- Peer Production and Desktop Manufacturing: The Case of the Helix_T Wind Turbine Project. site text
- Commons-Based Peer Production and Artistic Expression: Two Cases from Greece. site text
- Commons-Based Peer Production and Digital Fabrication: The Case of a RepRap-Based, Lego-Built 3D Printing-Milling Machine. site text