Reasons why Developing Countries should switch to Free Software
The summary was written in the context of Nepali, but is valid more generally:
1. The cost factor, the cost of a single copy of Windows XP + Office is 28.5 months of average income of a Nepali. So it is better to get a distro of Linux and Open office.org for free.
2. Till now we use non-licensed and pirated software also because of our loose laws in this sector but if the laws were strict we would be compelled to use registered version of all the software that would cost a scalable sum of money, so switching to FOSS and spending some money for support would be a better option.
3. FOSS is more secure, reliable and stable than proprietary solutions.
4. There exists a system of collaborative problem-solving in FOSS with use of tools like Wiki, forums, bugzilla etc.
5. Open standards and vendor independence is another aspect why we should adopt FOSS.
6. Meeting local technological needs, technological independence, raising local expertise so raising employment.
7. Availability of localized content and software.