Pangaia is quietly developing the world's "next great internet application", emerging from complexity science:
- Utilizing the power and wisdom of the crowd (given the right tools and incentives),
- using a stellar theoretical model for organizing the elements of knowledge (which we claim is provably optimal), we are
- creating a distributed peer-to-peer platform for trading creative value (a new economic system),
- while allocating decision-making authority fairly and efficiently (a new form of self-organizing governance)
- in a way that inspires even greater participation (a beautiful ecosystem of knowledge).
How will it do it? It will invert the top-three layers of the OSI model which came out of the client-server paradigm, making a content-centric layer of the internet (replacing the legacy DNS), adding a 3-d presentation layer, and a more modern session (layer 7) layer that's smarter about p2p. But see the pangaia wiki for more detail.
- technical details: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/pangaia/index.php?title=Specifics
Sam Rose comments: "It's in the neighborhood of Diaspora ideas, but using P2P internet protocols, instead of open web protocols/standards the way diaspora does."
** Hmmm, methinks this prior comment out of date...
- an early application of the Pangaia ideas, http://nodilus.org/