Open Scientific Software Commons
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Proposals by Dan Gezelter:
"* We should create an open central repository location at which authors can release software and documentation.
- Software release should be an integral and funded part of projects.
- Software release should become an integral part of the publication process.
- The barriers to publication of methods and descriptive papers should be lower.
- Programming, statistics and data analysis should be an integral part of the curriculum.
- There should be more opportunities to fund grass-roots software projects of use to the wider community.
- We should develop institutional support for science programs that attract and support talented scientists who generate software for public release."
- Astronomical Software Wants To Be Free: A Manifesto by Weiner et al. The authors talk about some of the barriers to astronimical software development that are true in all scientific fields.