Democratic Money and Capital for the Commons
* Report: Democratic Money and Capital for the Commons. By Pat Conaty and David Bollier. Commons Strategies Group / Heinrich Boll Foundation, 2016.
Report based on a intensive 'deep dive' conversation by experts from the funding world and actors in peer production, which examined funding possibilties for the commons and commons-based projects.
I. Why a Transformation of Money, Banking and Finance is Essential
Money as a System of Social Order
Public Money as an Essential Alternative to Bank-created Money
Can Money and Commons “Play Nicely” Together?
II. How Can We Finance Commons and Commoning?
Reconceptualizing Credit and Risk for the Commons
III. Nine Institutional Forms to Transform Finance
1. Social and Ethical Lending
2. Community Development Finance Institutions
3. Public Banks
4. Transition-Oriented Credit
5. The Blockchain Ledger as a Community Infrastructure
6. Complementary Currencies
7. Crowdfunding for the Commons
8. Enspiral and Commons-based Virtual Banking
9. New Organizational Forms for Cooperative Accumulation
Can These Finance Options Be Integrated into One Narrative?
IV. Strategies for Moving Forward
1. Democratize Money
2. Get Beyond Money (As We Know It)
3. Back to the Future: Blending the Old and the New
4. Engineer Systems for Cooperative Accumulation
5. Macro-Map the New Monetary System as a Commons
Overarching Themes and Tensions