Jump to navigation Jump to search
A comprehensive list of hacked and hackable products is maintained by Stephen Vermeulen at http://vermeulen.ca/product-hacking.html
We used this previous compilation as the basis but we continued to develop separately.
- 1 Concepts
- 2 Tools
- 3 Open Products
- 3.1 Open CPU
- 3.2 Designs that Include a CPU
- 3.3 Graphics cards
- 3.4 Other Electronic Parts and Components
- 3.5 Open Computers
- 3.6 Open wireless hardware
- 3.7 Open Telephones
- 3.8 Other devices primarily based on Electronic Components
- 3.9 Other products
- Free Hardware Design, Open Development, Open Customization ; Open Design, Open Hardware, Open Innovation, Open Source, Open Source Product Design, Open Source Hardware
- Citizen Product Design; Co-Creation; Co-Design ; Desktop Manufacturing ; Peer Production Entrepreneurs ; Self-organized Design Communities
- Typology by degree of openness: Closed Hardware; Open Interface, Open Design, Open Implementation
- It is increasingly easy and popular to share and swap physical goods, i.e. Freecycling, using Free Stores and FreeSharing Networks. See also: Regifting and Regiving
- "Light Green Ecology" points to the necessity to conceptualise material streams in a bio-logical way: Spontaneus abundance and upcycling as principles. Free Resources, Cooperative Cycles
- Citizen Product Design
- Community Supported Manufacturing
- Crowdsourced Advertising
- Crowdsourced Design
- Open Customization
- Open Design
- Open Source Architecture
- Open Source Hardware
- Open Hardware
- Open P2P Communities
- Open Peer to Peer Design
- Open Source Hardware
- Open Source Physical Objects
- Open Source Product Design
- Open innovation
- Peer Production Entrepreneurs
- Personal Fabricators
- Self-organized Design Communities
- Alliance, free CAD tools and portable libraries for VLSI design
- Arduino, an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software.
- LEOX, Complete, free, open source, set of hardware and software components usable to build an embedded computer with its operating system that can be incorporated easily into a FPGA or into an ASIC...
- LiberLab, a DIY digital lab at a very low price
- Open Circuits, a wiki for sharing open source electronics knowledge, schematics, board layouts, ports and parts libraries
- Open Cores, a loose collection of people who are interested in developing hardware, with a similar ethos to the free software movement"
- Open Sustainability Network and its Standarrd blog
- SPI, founded to help organizations develop and distribute open hardware and software.
- s = software open source / developer community
- h = hardware open for manufacturing
- Open SPARC  is a project with an already created UltraSPARC T1 multicore chip by Sun Microsystems. As of August 2007 a T2 chip is also in the pipeline Sun's OpenSPARC
- OpenRISC is a group of developers working to produce a very high performance open source RISC CPU.
- LEON is an open source 32-bit SPARC-like CPU created by the ESA. It's the standard CPU for the European Space Industry.
- Coreboot , aimed at replacing the proprietary BIOS (firmware)
- F-CPU, Freedom CPU project initiated in mid-1998.
Designs that Include a CPU
- Arduino is an open-source physical computing platform based on a simple I/O board and a development environment that implements the open source Processing / Wiring language.
- SquidBee - Open Mote based in Arduino for developing sensor networks. "Open Hardware and Source wireless sensor device. The goal of SquidBee is getting an "open mote" to create Sensor Networks"
- OpenBook - tablet design, positioning between $100 laptop and consumer Tablet PC´s price, which wants allow tablet usage to masses by high volume production.
- BalloonBoard.org produces open arm-based development boards, aimed at OEMs and further education.
- PLAICE - an open source hardware and software project developing a powerful in-circuit development tool that combines in one device the features of a FLASH Programmer, Memory Emulator, and High Speed Multi-Channel Logic Analyzer. It runs uClinux.
- OpenPCD - Open RFID reader/writer project, using AT91SAM7S128 microcontroller.
- ASoC (ALSA System on Chip).
- Open Graphics Project   aims to design an open architecture and standard for graphics cards.
- Project VGA
Other Electronic Parts and Components
- Ethernut, Open Source Hardware and Software Project for building tiny Embedded Ethernet Devices
- ExpressPCB, manufactures self-designed motherboards
- Free IO
- Manticore, an open source hardware design for a 3D graphics accelerator
- Open Pattern, embedded electronics for wireless
- TuxPhone, an RFID-enabled Open Cellphone project
- Ucasterisk, free hardware designs for telephone systems. Both the hardware and software are open.
- Bug Labs, a programmable hardware device, The Bug, run on open source software Bugbase s
- ECB AT91 - Single-board computer based on the Atmel AT91RM9200 ARM9 processor (180 MHz).
- ECB ATmega32/644 - Single-board computer based on the Atmel ATmega32/644 (20 MHz) with webserver-capability and less than 100mA power consumption
- OLPC XO-1, One Laptop Per Child project
- Open OEM - Project to build the first open source computer,
- Simputer - handheld computer aimed at developing countries
Open wireless hardware
- Sun SPOT is an open source hardware and software platform for sensor networks and battery powered, wireless, embedded development
- Free Telephony Project, provides free reference designs for embedded telephony. s,h
- Open Handset Alliance
- Opencellphone.org - also called 'TuxPhone'
- Open Moko - open phone framework (first use case: FIC neo1973, expected in Q4, 2007), see Open Mobile Telephony
- Astfin - Free Telephony Project open source telephony hardware
Other devices primarily based on Electronic Components
- Chumby, a powerful little device with Wi-Fi, a 3.5-inch screen and an interface that you can customize s
- Daisy MP3 Player s,h
- Elphel, cameras s,h
- Jaldi Battery Charger s,h
- Muio, a modular system for sensing and controlling the Real World s,h
- Neuros Technology and its OSD Open Source Device
- Night Brights, the entire making process of the lights is open source and shared publicly
- Open Bios, Open Firmware implementations
- Open EEG
- Open FM
- Open Micromanufacturing and Nanomanufacturing Equipment
- Open Pandora
- OKVM Project, open source console and KVM management software / open source KVM hardware.
- Ronja by Twibright Labs, optical point-to-point data link device
- Roomba, hackable Vacuuming Robots
- x0xb0x, "Roland" MIDI synthesizer
- Ybox, an internet connected set-top box
Agriculture, Development and Sustainability
- Concentrated Solar Power Open Source Initiative
- SHPEGS Open Energy Project
- SolaRoof, open design of solar energy for households
Building and Housing, Furniture
- Grid Beam Building System, reuseable parts for building
- Hexayurt, an open source disaster relief shelter
- Open Architecture Network
- Ikea Hacker Do it yourself blog on the base of corporate products
- Movisi Open Design Furniture
Fashion, Leisure and Learning
- Open Source Sewing Patterns such as Burdastyle
- Lego Factory, design your own kits, in the corporate framework
- LugNet, design your own Lego kits, outside the corporate framework
- [Pret a Printer], TShirt Designs by Taskforge
Food, Drinks, Drugs etc,
- C,mm,n, Dutch Open Source Car project
- Open Prosthetics Project
- Open Source Green Vehicle
- Open Source Scooter, a project to make a Segway-type vehicle
- Open Source Velomobile Development Project
- Transportable Infrastructures for Development and Emergency Support: 7 critical infrastructures
- Whirlwind Wheelchair International