'Ready to Use' Consumer Electronics
- Chumby: "The internet-alarm clock-information-station does more than just run Linux. With a 3.5” touchscreen, an ARM9, integrated Wi-Fi, and an accelerometer, all wrapped up in a rotund, friendly enclosure, there’s no question that it’s a bona fide consumer gadget."
- The VIA OpenBook was a concept for an open source hardware netbook released in 2008. Unfortunately, while VIA has long since launched other netbooks, it seems like this was more a marketing attempt than a full-fledged project.
- Qi Hardware NanoNote: an open source hardware handheld mobile PC
- OpenMoko’s Neo FreeRunner: open source smartphone
Agriculture, Development, Energy, Environment, and Sustainability
Related categories: Agrifood, Energy.
For status updates, go here at http://www.open-innovation-projects.org/project-list/simple?start=0
- Agua Clara, a project for [Open Design Water Treatment Plants]]
- algOS - Oil from Algae Open Source 
- Appropedia Foundation; Website with wiki and forum on open sustainable hardware and related projects
- GardenBot, a [Open Source Garden Monitoring System]]
- Global Village Construction Set by Open Source Ecology
- Good Stove Cost and energy efficient stoves for the use in developing countries 
- HydroBot standalone Open Source Hydroponics Garden Controller built around Arduino Mega.
- Open Green Tech Database: e5 interlinks Clean Tech companies, research institutes, actors from the Open Source movement, legal experts and development organisations
- Mosquino: a software-compatible derivative of the open-source Arduino platform that is designed for extremely low power consumption, operating from ambient (harvested) environmental energy sources such as heat, sunlight and vibration.
- Open Design Water Treatment Plants: see the Agua Clara project
- Open Photons, openPhotons - An open access laser based sensor platform is a National Science Foundation sponsored program to develop better photonic sensing technology.
- Open Source Garden Monitoring System : GardenBot
- Open Sustainability Network
- Open Shaspa: Social Energy Tracker
- OSCirrus, expandable, open source software weather station built on inexpensive hardware and weather sensors.
- Protei - An Open Hardware Oil Spill Cleaning Sailing Robot (funding stage at 3/2011)
- SparkFun Gas Sensors - SparkFun.com is an open source hardware, online retail store. They offer a handful of devices for gas detection
- Tweet-a-Watt]: Social Energy Tracker
- Your Green Dream: for diy renewable communities
- WxMonitor, Open Source Weather Monitoring
- Absorber Roof:low cost solar absorbing roofing material, details in the public domain
- AlgaeFarm project: an open source hardware project to design and build an automated small-scale photobioreactor for the cultivation of microalgae. The project aims "to create a safe, affordable, and multi-feature reactor that increases the viability of small-scale photobioreactors for school research and science fair projects, biofuel research and development, growing your own fish food, etc."
- Arduino MPPT Solar charge controller: an open source Arduino based MPPT 12v solar charge controller for lead-acid battery.
- Build-It-Solar - Plans and tools and information to do renewable energy and conservation projects.
- Canuckle: designed to be the LEGO of alternative energy. The first project is a highly accurate solar tracker
- CleanInventors Solar Tracker:Solar Tracker using Arduino.#Concentrated Solar Power Open Source Initiative ; (CSPOSI) - Project Archimedes: hybrid thermal solar collector for distributed power generation and water purification; Software and electronics hardware for concentrated solar power under GNU General Public License 
- Free Charge Controller project: an open source charge controller using MPPT to maximize power delivery from alternative energy sources. In its current state, it is designed to interface a 60 watt solar panel to charge a battery, but alternative input sources and loads are planned.
- Gasifier Experimenter Kit: biomass gasifiers that are ready for everyday use, to serve distributed energy needs.
- Onawi: Open Source Wind Turbine Designs
- Open Source Biogas
- Open Energy Monitor: a project to develop and build open source energy monitoring and analysis tools for energy efficiency and distributed renewable microgeneration.
- Open Source Arduino Sun, see Heliostat Projects
- Open Source Gasifiers
- Open Source Solar Steam Engine
- Open Source Wind Turbines: To assist people in the developing countries, and hobbyists alike, several projects have been open-sourced, e.g. the Jua Kali wind turbine, Hugh Piggot's wind turbine, ForceField Wind Turbine, et cetera; see also the Open Source Wind Turbine Designs of Onawi
- SHPEGS Open Energy Project (Solar Heat Pump Electrical Generation System): open concept for a renewable base load power station for moderate climates, based on solar and geothermal heat 
- SolarFire project: An open source linear reflecting fresnel solar concentrator. It is intended to be used by small industries and agricultural purposes, replacing use of coal and wood fires.It is also being deployed by Open Source Ecology project.
- Solar Flower: an open source solar energy collector which can be made very easily from common recycled and salvaged materials 
- SolaRoof, open design of solar energy for households
- Twibright Exciter pedal-poweder Self-Excited Induction Generator (SEIG) giving directly mains voltage based on cheap 3-phase induction motor
- Zoetrope Open Source Wind Turbine
- Agua Clara, Open Design Water Treatment Plants
- AKVO, open source water and sanitation 
- Akvopedia: open database on smart and affordable water and sanitation technology, open to be contributed, edited and used
Building and Housing, Furniture
- AtFab Digitally Manufactured Furniture
- Auram CEB Block System] developed at Auroville India: This is the most advanced CEB block system in existence. Sort-of open in that they claim the technology is offered free to the world to use, but don't publish exact plans for anything
- Backcountry Boiler - kickstarter supported long tail manufacturing of an ultralight outdoor kettle
- Contraptor: aiming to create an open-design construction set,
- DIY Magic Mirror - An Arduino, open source based interactive Magic Mirror with home automation and Halloween features.
- Fragment Store]: modular self-combined fragments of design furniture
- Freebus - an Open Source Home Automation System
- Good Stove, open source stove for the poor
- Grid Beam Building System, reuseable parts for building
- Hexayurt, an open source disaster relief shelter
- Ikea Hacker Do it yourself blog on the base of corporate products
- [email protected] is an open source free building control server for everybody whose house has got an integrated KNX/EIB-Bus.
- Liberator, aka "Open Farm Tech's Liberator Compressed Earth Block machine; 
- MIT House-n 'chassis' system
- Movisi Open Design Furniture
- [http://wiki.openhardware.org/Catalog:One_Day_Chair One Day Chair: Chair design for a CNC cutter
- Open Architecture Network
- Open Desk is a collection of simple furniture, designed to be cut by a CNC machine
- Open Remote, an Open Domotics community
- Open Sailing: modular marine architecture
- Open Structures Project; and other Open Source Construction Systems
- Open Source Furniture
- Open Source Geopolymer Cast Stone Construction; eopolymer House blog 
- Open Source Cooling: KippKitts is designing open-source low-voltage (24V), high-efficiency (@2A) DC cooling units (air-conditioner/cpu cooler/refigeration) 
- Open Source House: 2 project; most recent is here
- Open Source Induction Furnace Project
- Open Source Washing Machine OSWASH
- Open Straw is an Open Source Prefab Strawbale House that can be built for $7k 
- SketchChair is a free, open-source software tool that allows anyone to easily design and build their own digitally fabricated furniture.
- WikiHouse: fabricated from locally sourced plywood cut on a CNC mill from openly shared template files, and assembled with minimal skill by local people.
Entertainment, Fashion, Leisure and Learning
- Aibo Hack: for Sony's Aibo and some other pet robots, see http://www.aibohack.com/pleo/yapt.htm
- Circuit Bending
- DIY Book Scanner
- Lego Factory, design your own kits, in the corporate framework
- Lilypad: wearable microcontrollers and other electonic components,
- LugNet, design your own Lego kits, outside the corporate framework
- Natron und Soda: German language sewing community
- Niketalk: open sneaker community
- Open Hardware Book Scanners
- Open Source Camera, Stanford University's 'frankencamera' platform
- The Open Source Embroidery project
- Open Source Sewing Patterns such as Burdastyle
- Pamoyo, open source green fashion label
- PlaymoBeach: Customizing of Playmobil
- Pleo: a toy dinosaur baby robot which is able to behave. The behavior is of course just software... The company producing Pleo is actively supporting community by making the product open for software. See also: http://www.aibohack.com/pleo/yapt.htm
- [Pret a Printer], TShirt Designs by Taskforge
- Ravelry: a knit and crochet community
- Zero Prestige, has captured much of the kiteboarding market through a website for sharing the plans of kites
- Zoybar: an Open Design Guitar
- Beer 2 Beer, Facebook group
- CandyFab Project, do it yourself sugar printer
- Curto Cafe, open source coffee project in Brazil, with Sergio Venuto (Facebook group)
- Open Cola
- Open Source Beer Brewing Control Systems; See BrewTroller at http://www.oscsys.com/projects/brewtroller
- Open Source Breath Analyzer, DrinkShield Arduino
- Open Source Water Boiler and Purifier
- Solar Cooking
- Wine Hacking
- Free Beer
- Open Club Mate
Related categories: Health
- BioBricks: refer to a specific "brand" of open source genetic parts as defined via an open technical standards setting process that is led by the BioBricks Foundation
- Dental X-ray Machine
- EyeWriter Project, low-cost, eye-tracking glasses & free, open-source software that allows writers and artists with paralysis to draw and communicate using only their eyes
- InVesalius, a brazilian open source medical imaging 3D reconstruction software
- Myopen Signal Processor: Skin surface human interface device. Interpret muscle movements for video gaming, prosthetic control, robotic teleoperation and more.
- Open EEG
- Open source solar hearing-aid charger by Godisa Technologies
- Open Source Pharma (speculation)
- Open Source Drug Discovery (OSDD)
- OpenStim: The Open Noninvasive Brain Stimulator (see also)
- Open Prosthetics Project
- Open Source Dentistry
- Open Source Geiger Counter ; Geiger Maps Jp
- Open Source Medicine
- Open Spirometry: low cost, open source spirometer
- Pandemic ventilator
- Polonator: the Open Source Genome Sequencer
- Raven, an open source robotic surgeon
- Whirlwind Wheelchair International
Related categories: Transportation.
- 40 Fires Foundation: venture behind River Simple's Hybran project
- C3 is the 100 mpg, Open Source Commuter Car being developed by Wikispeed
- C,mm,n , Dutch Open Source Car project
- EDAG Open Source Light Car
- EVProduction club () is an organization with a wiki to design and produce open source electric vehicles and complements
- Fiat Mio - A crowdsourced concept car 
- Local Motors: = maker of the Rally Fighter, a car designed through Crowdsourcing, first to go into production
- Open Source Green Vehicle, an attempt to design an environmental friendly SUV using open source principles.
- Open Source Hydrogen Car: the Riversimple project
- OpenOtto: he project's goal: "to provide complete free and open access to the networked electronic devices in an automobile."
- OSCav : open source compressed air vehicle.
- Project Splitwheel Venture involving Caterham Cars (put on hold due to credit crunch].
- Sahkoautot, Electric Cars Now!, Finnish project
- Solar Vehicles , an open-source project to build fuel-less solar energy transportation.
- StreetScooter, a $7,000 EV with a 74 mph top speed and an 80-mile range created by a collaboration of more than 50 companies
- Trexa: A modular platform for designers of battery-powered Open Source Electric Vehicles
- Trev, Two-Seater Renewable Energy Vehicle
- Build Your Own Electric Car
- Converting a Mitsubishi to electric with step by step videos.
- Vehicle Design Summit 2.0: aims to create a 4-passenger, 200 MPGe, high-performance industry-standard car with minimal life cycle costs
- Wikispeed: 100 mpg sports car, followed by C3 commuter car
Bicycles, motorbikes and scooters
- Atomic Duck: = an Open Source Velomobile: “a velomobile—an enclosed, human-powered vehicle (HPV). “ in open design. 
- Open Moto X: TTXGP electric race bike.
- eCagiva: eCars Now related conversion project for the Cagiva Freccia C10 -89
- eMoped: light weight electric motorcycle from Letsevo in Brazil
- Open Source Scooter, a project to make a Segway-type vehicle
- Spaceframe Bikes
- Worldbike, read What is open source bycicle design?
- Xtracycle: open design for bicycle
- How to build a 72Volt electric motorcycle
- Open Bicycle Computer: to show and log data that are important when you are on the road with your bicycle
- Open Source Velomobile and other Open Source Velomobile Development Projects
- AeroModeller2: research into an autonomous self-generating hydrogen-based zero-emission low-cost low-tech nomad houseboat airship
- AeroQuad is an open-source hardware and software project dedicated to the construction of remote controlled four-rotor helicopters
- Air Data Instrument: Arduino-based instrument which reads ambient air pressure, ambient air temperature, and differential air pressure, as well as incorporating a real-time clock.
- ARIA, i.e. Autonomous Roadless Intelligent Array, an open source autonomous logistics infrastructure using drones, i.e. unmanned planes (see: Open Source Unmanned Aerial System)
- ArduCopter: Arduino-based autopilot for mulitrotor craft, from quadcopters to traditional helis 
- ArduPilot: a family of open source autopilots based on the Arduino open source computing platform. It consists of a choice of ArduPilot Mega (APM) electronics and a range of free software versions for different vehicles 
- DIY Drones, amateur Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
- Microkopter: German 'quadrokopter' miniature helicopter community
- Open Source Aviation: see the MakerPlane
- Open Source Avionics
- Open Source Next Generation Multicopter: UAVP stands for "Universal Aerial Video Platform". It is a flying object, ideally suited for making aerial videos and photos (aerial photography 
Background at: Open Source Spaceflight Hardware Movement
- DIY Rockets
- Open Aerospace
- OpenLuna Foundation
- Open Space Movement
- CisLunarFreighter/Open source tools 
- NASA Will Tinker With Open-Source Rocket for Return to Moon 
For an updated directory, see also: 
Other Astronomy tools:
- qrpTracker is a satellite tracking program that works on the popular and easy-to-program Arduino
- ISS Notify, "Lights up when the International Space Station is overhead", 
- Mars Rover Curiosity Notify, mars.open-notify.org for RSS feeds of all the new images from the latest Mars rover Curiosity.
- Open Notify, front end for some of NASA’s awesome data.
- Star Seeker Telescope Mount 
- OpenROV, a DIY telerobotics community centered around underwater exploration & adventure. 
- Open Sailing
- Open Source Sailing Drone: see Protei
- Open Waterbike 
- Pine-strip Kayak
- Protei, an Open Source Sailing Drone
- Xmaran: a project to develop an open source sail cruiser that will form the basis for a modular floating community.
- Do-it-yourself Electronic Fuel Injection 
- Open Source Battery Project for Electric Vehicles
- LifeTrac, tractor, also called OSTrac, the Open Source Tractor
- Open Source Satellite Initiative, making D.I.Y. satellites 
- OSMC - An open source Motor Control project, meant primarily for robotics but applicable to low-power electric vehicles and other uses
- Society for Sustainable Mobility
- Transportable Infrastructures for Development and Emergency Support: 7 critical infrastructures
- Adafruit Motor/Stepper: Full-featured motor shield that will be able to power many simple to medium-complexity projects.
- AnniRouter, an open hardware CNC router
- Callooh, A free hardware CNC router project
- Clanking Replicator Project is a bootstrap 3D printer that can make you pretty much anything that can be made from plastic
- Contraptor : a DIY open source construction set for experimental personal fabrication, desktop manufacturing, prototyping and bootstrapping.
- The CubeSpawn Project, an Open Source, Flexible Manufacturing System
- Desktop CNC router - A three axis cnc machine that can be easily built using standard, home handyman level, tools.
- DIYLILCNC: CNC project
- Fabaroni is a homemade 3D printer
- [email protected]: a project dedicated to making and using fabbers - machines that can make almost anything, right on your desktop
- Filabot, the Open Source Filament Maker
- Global Village Construction Set: A project to design open source versions of 50 different sustainability related machines.
- Homebuilt Electric Melting Furnace; melt aluminium at home
- LAOS Laser, another open-source laser cutter[
- Lasersaur: Open Source Laser Cutter
- LifeTrac, a tractor from the Open Source Ecology project
- Makerbot, a project of RepRap; see also Makerbot Industries
- MakerSlide, linear bearing system
- Mantis CNC: CNC project
- MAS863 - a simple home 3D scanner
- The micRo universal fabricator is a unique system which can be used for both additive (printing) and subtractive (milling, cutting) fabrication. It is a precise, modular tool which allows you to create complex objects out of wood, metal, plastic and more. From: Lumen Lab
- Microfactories, like oomlout's wire cutting system 
- Multimachine, all-purpose machine tool, an example of Multiple-Purpose Production Technology
- Open Automation Project engineers modular software and electronic components, from which it is possible to assemble an intelligent PC-based mobile robot suitable for home or office environments.
- Open 3DP
- Open Grasp, an open source simulation toolkit for grasping and dexterous manipulation
- Open Hardware Repository 
- Open Source CNC Milling Machine
- Open Source CNC Systems
- Open Source Filament Maker: see Filabot
- Open Source Integrated Circuits
- Open Source Machine - Home of The MultiMachine, an all-purpose machine tool that can be built by a semi-skilled mechanic with just common hand tools.
- Open Source Powder-Based 3D Printer: Pwdr
- Open Source Torch Table, see RepTab
- Open Source XMOS Based CNC Laser Engraver Controller
- OSMIlling , an open hardware milling machine project
- OSLOOM , an open source thread controlled loom
- P3P, see Open 3DP, powder-based personal 3D printer student project 
- Pervado: see OSMilling
- Pick and Place Project: To develop a low cost, reproducible, open-source pick and place system for automated SMT electronics assembly.
- Portable Open Source 3D Printer: Tantillus.org, 
- Pwdr is an open source powder-based rapid prototyping machine
- RedBlueCNC: CNC project
- RepRap - Replicating Rapid-prototyper is a self-copying 3D printer - a self-replicating machine.
- RepTab: a CNC plasma torch table (cuts through steel), by Open Source Ecology
- Ronen Kadushin Open Design - a practical repository of physical shape algorithms
- ShapeOko, another open hardware CNC router, desktop variety
- Tantillus, home of the portable open source 3D printer 
- Thingiverse : This is a place to share digital designs that can be made into real, physical objects.
- Ultimaker, an open hardware 3D printer
- Lego3DPrintingMachine, an open-source and open-hardware Greek project
For Astronomy, tools see under Space Transportation!
- CFree: high quality telescope optics, for astronomy
- CheapStat: An Open-Source, “Do-It-Yourself” Potentiostat for Analytical and Educational Applications 
- DremelFuge - A One-Piece Centrifuge for Rotary Tools
- FLOAT Beijing, an Open Source Air Quality Monitor Kite Project
- Handwave Skin Conductance Sensor
- Motion Capture System Using Accelerometers 
- Open Gel Box, produced by Pearl Biotech, one of the DIYbio Companies
- Open-H20, Open source hardware for the ocean.
- Open PCR, a project to build one of the OpenPCR machines; an Open Source kitset based on an Arduino 
- Open rTMS Project = open 'god helmet' project 
- Open Source Air Quality Monitor Kite Project
- Open Source Bio-Amplifier, the Spiker Box from Backyard Brains
- Open Source Geiger Counter ; Geiger Maps Jp ; See also: ; 
- Open Source Ocean Hardware
- Open Source Photosynthesis Measurement Device; see Photosync at 
- Open-Source Potentiostat, see CheapStat: An Open-Source, “Do-It-Yourself” Potentiostat for Analytical and Educational Applications 
- Open Source Spectral Data
- OpenROV, a DIY telerobotics community centered around underwater exploration & adventure. 
- Pearl Gel Box, an Open Hardware Electrophoresis Gel Box (genetics) (from Pearl Biotech?)
- Photosync: a low cost, hand-held measurement device which researchers, educators, and citizen scientists can use to build a global database of plant health.
- Pranav Mistry, the SixthSense Augmented Realitysystem 
- Public Lab DIY Spectrometry Kit
- RS-232 Radiation Logger
- Spiker Box, the Open Source Bio-Amplifier from Backyard Brains
- Tricorder Project, open source handheld devices that can sense a diverse array of phenomena that we can't normally see
- Open Science Hardware
- Open Hardware for the Environment