Policy Recommendations for a Safe Usage of Social Network Sites
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Recommendations for a safer SNS usage, by Enisa
- Review and Reinterpret Regulatory Framework: Social Networking was not around when current legislation (especially data protection law) was created. Clarification or even modification is needed in particular of the Dir. 2002/58 on privacy and electronic communications.
- Increase Transparency of Data Handling Practices
- Awareness-raising & education: recommendations include “real-time” education of users, campaigns for schools, security best practice training for software developers and security conscious corporate policy for SNS usage.
- Discourage banning of SNS in schools: instead favouring co-ordinated campaigns to educate children, teachers and parents in a controlled and open way in safe usage of SNS.
- Promote Portable Networks: allow users to move, control and syndicate their own data and privacy preferences between SNS. Other recommendations include Research into Mobile SNS and Convergence with virtual worlds. For full list of threats and recommendations, please refer to the Position Paper http://www.enisa.europa.eu/doc/pdf/deliverables/enisa_pp_social_networks.pdf