List of ContactCon Related Projects
See: ContactCon for general information about the conference
Projects Looking for Funding
- Project Description: Kune is a free/libre web platform focused on: the collaborative edition in real time of free contents, thinking on the collaborative work of collectives and organizations; its publishing on the web; and the communication in social network among social movements, academic groups and social initiatives. Besides, it stresses the CC licenses of contents and usability for humans. Many buzzwords, but we try to take it seriously :) Kune integrates Apache Wave and it's decentralized: users in different servers can interoperate and work together transparently. Within Kune, users can communicate as in any social network, but also belong to several collectives where they can work collaboratively in the construction of free materials, which are publishable directly on the web. Kune aims to facilitate the work of decentralized social movements without depending on for-profit centralized structures (Google Docs, Yahoo Groups, Facebook) not only by offering a free/libre alternative but offering a "new model that makes the previous model obsolete". Kune is a project of the Comunes nonprofit.
- Team: Kune developers together with the Comunes nonprofit.
- Homepage: Kune
- Twitter: @kuneproject
- Project Name Campaign for Commons Literacy
- Project Description: We campaign for raising awareness and momentum for a mode of social production alternative to State and Market, the Commons, defined as “The commons is the social and political space where things get done and where people have a sense of belonging and have an element of control over their lives, providing sustenance, security and independence. It gives voice to civil society and helps us to learn new social practices, imagine a political, economic and social system beyond capitalism or communism. It is beyond party politics or other sectarian beliefs and practices.” (Wikipedia)
- Team: See our Project Team and Advisory Board here.
- Use of Proceeds: development and delivery or workshops and an interactive Campaign Commons, the formation of a community supported by a multi-site web space
- Capital Requirements: $18,177
- Project Name: Butterfly Effect 9
- Author: hassen saker @hhassen
- Description: Butterfly Effect 9 is a pervasive multiplayer survival game. Heavy with anti-monopoly/mega-corp underpinnings B.E.9 incorporates progressive, grassroots, hacker/maker heroics mixed with sci-fi, mytho-crypto ecoliteracy, chaos theory, & disruptive, darker yet comical elements. The hybrid genre allows players to utilize various skills in strategy, cooperation, intuition, puzzle-solving and knowledge of things ranging from nature and homesteading to crafting and making/hacking.Its reward system and p2p uses, the multi-platform will greatly incentivize players to take sustainable actions in the real world by integrating it with mobile devices and AR (augmented reality) technologies, artisanal technologies, as well as low [hi]tech tools. Innovation, dedication to literary quality, aesthetics and humor make this a very unique project.
- Status: I am currently working on this without a team so I'm looking for a few brilliant developers/designers, advisors and funding. If you're serious about getting involved, I'll share details. Contact me hassen[at]hhassen[dot]com
Business, Exchange and Social Commerce
- Bitcoin - p2p virtual currency, offering censorship resistance and anonymity; and based on strong encryption
- OurGoods - barter network for the creative community
- BEEx - open source fundraising platform
- Metacurrency Project - seeks to build a platform and protocol standards that will allow for multiple and interoperable currencies to exist on the Internet
- Community Forge - free, open source software for setting up an alternative economy
- Collaborating Minds enables a diverse group of thinkers and doers from multiple fields to work effectively and enjoyably together. This platform will enable groups of people to tackle social and organizational problems that have resisted previous solution attempts. We will be more effective because we focus on explicitly fostering trust within the network, on better problem definition and structuring, and on avoiding premature leaps to conclusions. To test the platform, we are recruiting an initial community of collaborating problem solvers. Think of it as the intersection of high-performance teams, process management, and social networks.
Sustainability & Resilience
- FLO Farm - a 200 acre space in Greentown, PA that serves as a free/libre/open source (FLO) technology development laboratory and proving ground, a health and wellness center, a recreational landscape, an agroforestry and permaculture farm and a setting for experimentation in participatory governance practices
- Seeding Resilient Communities - a "challenge offer" initiative for donors and online allies to help areas that want to create more transparent and resilient environments. The value of challenge offers can hinge on local actions to: 1) vest self-help groups as beneficiaries of land trusts, after the model of "land grant" universities, and 2) pilot new transparency-centered reforms to awaken land values on these sites, to the benefit of groups working for resiliency that now lack sustainable sources of funding.
- Campaign for Commons Literacy - campaign for raising awareness and momentum for a mode of social production alternative to State and Market, the Commons, defined as “The commons is the social and political space where things get done and where people have a sense of belonging and have an element of control over their lives, providing sustenance, security and independence. It gives voice to civil society and helps us to learn new social practices, imagine a political, economic and social system beyond capitalism or communism. It is beyond party politics or other sectarian beliefs and practices.” (Wikipedia)
- Personal Democracy Forum - conversation hub between political practitioners and technologists, as well as anyone invigorated by the potential of all this to open up the process and engage more people in all the things that we can and must do together as citizens.
- Collabforge - consultancy leveraging mass collaboration and social technology to make government and enterprise more open and participatory.
- The Dynamic Democracy Initiative - delegating decision-making power to people you trust within specific areas of expertise. Website coming soon.
- village votes a wiki legislation website that combines elements of social media and gamification
- Party X group decision-making applications, with the goal of nurturing consensus around an information sharing and storage protocol and online decision-making tool kit
Technology and Infrastructure
- ""LittleShoot"" - P2P browser plugin & open source P2P platform built on a VoIP stack
- ""Lantern"" - P2P censorship circumvention tool
- Aidphone Flybox - box with inmarsat terminal, wifi access point, and GSM basestation to provide internet & mobile phone service to indy journalistsin crisis situations
- Free Network Movement - community of college-aged student in Grinnell, IA, participating in initiatives to improve and produce free networking software
- Pangaia - Unified information model with social governance software.
- Tor Project - free software and an open network to defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security
- Project Byzantium - A rapidly deployable, improvisable wireless mesh network that aims to help solve the Egypt Problem (widespread Internet censorship and/or telecommunications shutdown) and the Katrina Problem (natural disaster knocks out much of the infrastructure).
- Sitelier is a free OS for the social web. It manages a secure private website where users can safely store all their online content and personal information, and install web apps to work with it – on their terms. It lets people connect with friends, family and colleagues, and use apps to communicate and share whatever they want with whomever they want – privately. Sitelier turns the web around, making it user-centric rather than service-centric, and promises unprecedented convenience, security, power, and freedom to its users.
- Kune is a decentralized free/libre web platform focused on: the collaborative edition in real time of free contents, thinking on the collaborative work of collectives and organizations; its publishing on the web; and the communication in social network among social movements, academic groups and social initiatives. Besides, it stresses the CC licenses of contents and usability for humans. Kune aims to overcome the for-profit centralized web-services by "building a new model that makes the previous model obsolete". Many buzzwords, but we try to take it seriously :) Kune is a project of the Comunes nonprofit.
- visionOntvaims for the widest possible distribution of video for social change.
A 'world' of social contexts and conceptual tools children and young adults can employ to design and evolve self-organized projects. Published by founder-designer Scott Grimmwise. Currently in pre-publication preview, launching early 2012.