Books that relate to peer to peer; the open paradigm; and the Commons. Feel free to add your own reviews.
- Support the P2P Foundation by buying your books at our Bookstore
- Check out these P2P Book Authors Talking about their Books, i.e. a list of audio and video interviews with authors talking about their p2p-related work
- 1 The Top 20 Books on Peer to Peer
- 1.1 On Peer Production in general
- 1.2 On P2P Governance and Property
- 1.3 On Political and Social Change
- 1.4 On P2P Culture
- 1.5 On P2P Economics
- 1.6 On P2P Education
- 1.7 On P2P Spirituality
- 2 Other Recommended Books
- 3 Full Directory
The Top 20 Books on Peer to Peer
On Peer Production in general
- The Wealth of Networks. Yochai Benkler.
- The Success of Open Source. Steve Weber.
- Democratizing Innovation. Erik von Hippel.
- Wikinomics. Don Tapscott.
- From Production to Produsage. Axel Bruns. (see the article on Produsage)
- Here Comes Everybody. Clay Shirky.
- Nowtopia: How Pirate Programmers, Outlaw Bicyclists, and Vacant-lot Gardeners are Inventing the Future Today. Chris Carlsson. AK Press, 2008
- The Pirate's Dilemma. Matt Mason.
- Capitalism 3.0. Peter Barnes.
- Hacking Capitalism. Johan Soderbergh
- The Long Tail. Chris Anderson.
- The Wisdom of Crowds. James Surowiecki.
On Free and Open Source Software production and philosophy specifically
- The Success of Open Source. Steven Weber.
- The Cathedral and the Bazaar. Eric Raymond.
- Open Life. Henrik Ingo.
- Perspectives on Free and Open Source Software. An MIT reader, 2005
- Hacking Capitalism. Johan Soderbergh.
- Decoding Liberation
On P2P Governance and Property
- The Future of the Internet - and how to stop it. Jonathan Zittrain on protecting a free and Generative Internet
- The Success of Open Source. Steven Weber on the governance of open source communities
On P2P Management and Leadership
- The Myth of Leadership. Jeffrey Nielsen.
- The Hacker Ethic. Pekka Himanen.
- The Play Ethic. Pat Kane.
- Cyberchiefs. By Mathew O'Neill. Excellent monograph with 4 case studies.
On Peer Property
On Political and Social Change
- The Hacker Manifesto. McKenzie Wark.
- Massimo De Angelis: The Beginning of History. Value Struggles and Global Capital. Pluto, 2007: about the Commons as a political movement inaugurating a new era of history
- Cyber Marx. Nick Dyer-Whiteford.
- Protocol and The Exploit: How Control Exists after Decentralization. Alexander Galloway et al.
- Gramsci is Dead. Richard Day.
- Code 2.0. Lawrence Lessig.
- Viral Spiral. David Bollier. An account of the emergence of the contemporary Commons movement
On the political implications of the hacker and free software movements:
- Johan Soderbergh: Hacking Capitalism
- Decoding Liberation
- Christopher Kely. Two Bits, on the strategy of Recursive Publics
- Abstract Activism. Otto von Busch and Karl Palmås.
On the networked alterglobalization movement:
- Networking Futures. Jeffrey Juris, 'the bible of the autonomous movements'
- Netroots Rising. How a citizen army of bloggers and online activists is changing American politics. by Lowell Feld and Nate Wilcox. 2008
- The Coming Dark Age: recommended!
- Theory of Power. By Jack Vail.
- Momentum. Allison H. Fine
- Garden World. Doug Carmichael.
On P2P Culture
- Smart Mobs. Howard Rheingold
- The Play Ethic. By Pat Kane.
- Hacker Ethic. Pekka Himanen.
- Knowing Knowledge. George Siemens.
- Open Culture and the Nature of Networks. Ed. by Felix Stalder.
- Slow Living. Wency Parkins and Geoffrey Craig.
- Understanding Knowledge as Commons. Eleanor Ostrom et al.
- James Boyle. The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind. 
On P2P Economics
- Christian Siefkes: From Exchange to Contributions: alternative proposal for an effort-sharing/task-auctioning based system of organizing the economy
Books Recommended by Dave Pollard on Ecological and community-based economics:
- Herman Daly on Steady-State Economics
- Roger Douthwaite's Short Circuit, a blueprint for a community-based economy
- Thomas Princen explains why we need to evolve to a Logic of Sufficiency
- Peter Brown: The Commonwealth of Life
On P2P Education
- Opening Up Education: The Collective Advancement of Education through Open Technology, Open Content, and Open Knowledge. Editors Toru Iiyoshi and M. S. Vijay Kumar. MIT Press, 2008
- Knowing Knowledge. By George Siemens. An exploration of participative learning.
- Everything is Miscellaneous. By David Weinberger. How we are changing the way we organize knowledge.
- Learning Networks. Linda Harasim et al.
On P2P Spirituality
- Participatory Spirituality - A Farewell to Authoritarian Religion. By John Heron.
- Digital Dharma. Steven Vedro.
Other Recommended Books
Practical How To Books
Momentum (guide for social activists)
Also of note
Online Books, including books-in-progress
We Think. Charles Leadbeater.
Older Classics that are available online
The Natural Economic Order. By Silvio Gesell.
The New State. Mary Parker Follet.
Support the P2P Foundation by buying your books at our Bookstore
While by no means identical to the P2P Foundation approach, this booklist on left-libertarianism is of interest, as it refers to traditions aiming to marry liberty and equality.
Pages in category "Books"
The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 2,390 total.(previous page) (next page)
- Abstract Activism
- Abundance - The Future Is Better Than You Think
- Abundance Within Planetary Boundaries
- Abundant Community
- Abundant Energy Revolution
- Access Controlled
- Access Denied
- Access Principle
- Access to Knowledge
- Access to Knowledge in the Age of Intellectual Property
- Accounting Principles for a Participatory Economy
- Acquisitive Society
- Action Leadership as a Participatory Paradigm
- Activating the Urban Commons Through Sharing Cities
- Active Hope
- African Digital Commons
- After Capitalism
- After Hegemony
- After the Future
- After the Nation State
- After the Software Wars
- Against Intellectual Monopoly
- Against the Smart City
- Age of Empathy
- Age of Surveillance Capitalism
- Agenda for a New Economy
- Agents of Alternatives
- Agriculture in Urban Planning
- Agro-Ecological Approaches to Agricultural Development
- Alanna Hartzok on Why the Earth Belongs to Everyone
- Alasdair Roberts on the End of Protests
- Alex Williams and Nick Srnicek on Inventing the Future Based on Full Automation and a Universal Basic Income
- Alexander Douglas on the Philosophy Of Debt
- Alexander Galloway on Protocollary Power
- Algorithmic Sustainable Design
- Algorithms of Capital
- Algorithms of Oppression
- All Rise
- Almanaque Azul Panamá, Guía de Viajes/es
- Alone Together
- Alpha Lo on Gift Circles
- Alphabet versus the Goddess
- Alternative Economics, Alternative Societies
- Alternative Food Geographies
- Alternative Internet
- Alternative Modes of Governance
- Alternative Pathways in Science and Industry
- Ambient Commons
- Ambient Findability
- America beyond Capitalism
- America Beyond Capitalism
- Analysis of Financial Terrorism in America
- Anarchist in the Library
- Anarchy as Order
- Anatomy of a Money-Like Informational Commodity
- Anatomy of Revolution
- Andrew McAfee on Enterprise 2.0
- Andy Oram on the FLOSS Manuals Project
- Animals as Persons
- Anne Ryan on Enough is Plenty
- Another Future is Possible
- Another Production is Possible
- Anthropological Trompe l’Oeil for a Common World
- Anthropology and the Economy of Sharing
- Anthropology of Economy
- Anthropology of Unequal Society
- Anti-Democratic Tradition in Western Thought
- Anticapitalism and Culture
- Antifragile Things That Gain From Disorder
- Anupam Chander on the Electronic Silk Road
- Appropriation of Public Land in Neoliberal Britain
- Aram Sinnreich on the Piracy Crusade
- Archaeology of Wealth Differences
- Architecture of Authority
- Architecture of Open Source Applications
- Architecture of Resistance
- Arizmendiarrieta’s Thought on Cooperative Man
- Army of Davids
- Art and Energy
- Art of Anonymous Activism
- Art of Community
- Art of Free Cooperation
- Art of Not Being Governed
- Artistic Activism During Long 20th Century
- Artists Thinking about the Blockchain
- Ascent of Humanity
- Asian Cyberactivism
- Assemblage Theory and Social Complexity
- Associative Democracy
- Atlas Of Commoning
- Atlas of Radical Cartography
- Atlas of Transformation
- Attention Merchants
- Augmented Urban Spaces
- Auroville Economy Book
- Automatic Society
- Automating Inequality
- Automation, Accelerating Technology and the Economy of the Future
- Autonomy and Horizontalism in Argentina
- Autonomy and Self-Organization in the Revolutions of Everyday Life
- Autopsy of an Island Currency
- Awakening the Power of Families and Neighborhoods
- Awakening to an Ecology of the Commons
- Axel Bruns on Produsage
- Axemaker's Gift
- Babylon and Beyond
- Back in the Box
- Bald Ambition
- Bankrupting Nature
- Barefoot into Cyberspace
- Basic Income and Stakeholder Grants as Cornerstones for an Egalitarian Capitalism
- Basic Income, Labor, and the Idea of Post-Capitalism
- Battle for the Life and Beauty of the Earth
- Before the State
- Before Writing
- Beginning of History
- Being and Technology
- Bernard Lietaer on Money and Sustainability
- Bernard Lietaer on New Money for a New World
- Best of Instructables
- Best of Rhizome
- Better Be Running
- Beyond Adversary Democracy
- Beyond Civilization
- Beyond Cognitive Meritocracy
- Beyond Discipline
- Beyond Good and Evil Commons
- Beyond Marx
- Beyond Our Control
- Beyond Plutocracy
- Beyond the MOOC Hype
- Beyond the PLC
- Beyond the Profits System
- Beyond Western Economics
- Beyond WikiLeaks
- Bibliography of Remix Culture and Music
- Bibliography of the Commons
- Bibliography on Cooperative Universities
- Bibliography on Open Design and Distributed Manufacturing
- Bibliography on Peer Production
- Bibliography on System-to-System Transitions
- Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy
- Big Switch
- Bio-Physical Triggers of Political Violence
- Biological Human
- Biology is Technology
- Biopolitics of the Multitude Versus the Hegemony of the People
- Bioregional Economy
- Biosphere and Noosphere Reader
- Birthing Work
- Bitcoin Software as Right-Wing Extremism
- Black Box Society
- Black Code
- Blessed Unrest
- Blockchain and the Law
- Blockchain as a Blueprint for a New Economy
- Blockchain as Blueprint for a New Economy
- Blockchain Revolution
- Blog Theory
- Blogging America
- Blue Economy
- Blue Gold
- Book of Abundance
- Book of Community
- Book of Peer Production
- Books on Building Online Community
- Books on Internet Radio
- Books on Social Change
- Bootstrapping Democracy in Brazil
- Born Digital
- Boy Kings
- Brave New War
- Brazil's Digital Culture
- Breaking Barriers
- Bubble and Beyond
- Buddhist Approach to Economic Transformation
- Building a Stakeholder Society as an Alternative to the Market and the State
- Building a Sustainable Economy in a World of Finite Resources
- Building a Whole Earth Economy through Right Relationship
- Building a Whole Earth Economy Through Right Relationship
- Building Collective Resilience in the Wake of Disasters
- Building Consensus
- Building Democratic Alternatives Beyond Capitalism for Today and the Future