A project to create a 'free' or open source Open Mobile Telephony platform.
URL = http://openmoko.org/
"Mobile phones are closed environments created with a mobile context in mind. But this concept is limiting; a mobile phone has the potential to be a platform that can do anything that a small computer with broadband access can do. If mobile phones were based on open platforms, they would have the potential to bring computing to people in a ways traditional computers cannot. Mobile phones can become ubiquitous computers." (http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-January/001586.html)
The long term goal is that phone software won't be tied to a phone. You can install any OpenMoko software over the whole range of phones, and if you upgrade your phone, you don't lose the software. Bugs fixed on one phone are fixed on all.
- http://openmoko.org/ -- for the actual development community
- http://wiki.openmoko.org/ -- for an official wiki of the project
- http://bugzilla.openmoko.org/ -- for bug tracking
- http://lists.openmoko.org/ -- for public mailing lists
- http://planet.openmoko.org/ -- for an aggregated feed
- http://projects.openmoko.org/ -- for user-contributed projects