Brazil P2P WikiSprint
This is the main page for our collaborative efforts to map P2P and Commons oriented initiatives in Brazil: http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Brazil_P2P_WikiSprint
Portuguese language material is available in the companion page: http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:P2P_WikiSprint
The Brazilian Institute of Information in Science and Technology - IBICT, the School of Communication at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro and the P2P Foundation have initiated the mapping of P2P culture and initiatives all over Brazil. This mapping should include open, participatory and commons-oriented projects that redesign society, government and business. The aim is to show the wide variety of ways in which Brazilian citizens and others are creating value together, using the new social and network technologies to facilitate their cooperation.
The project is also a personal initiative of P2P Foundation founder Michel Bauwens, Clovis Lima of IBICT, with the generous help and guidance of Vinicius Rocha.
The launch event will take place in various locales on Wednesday, November 28th, between 2 and 5 pm.
The summary announcement is located here at http://bauwensp2p.wordpress.com/mapa-p2p/
Our aim will be to omap a maximum number of ‘P2P’ based initiatives in Rio de Janeiro in particular, and in Brazil generally .
General Background Information:
The P2P Foundation has the following section page on Brazil, with introductory material that may be considered a bit outdated, but will be renewed and updated thanks to the WikiSprint:
To find general information on p2p and participatory developments in Brazil, see our bookmark collections at
An example of a similar mapping effort in Athens, Greece:
Resources for the P2P WikiSprint contribution process
Every volunteer will be asked to find and offer five initatives to be mapped and described.
The Geolocation and mapping of the initiatives will be done on a Ushahadi map:
Consolidation of the gathered information will be done by editors at:
- In English: http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Brazil_P2P WikiSprint
- In Portuguese: http://br.p2pfoundation.net/Category:P2P WikiSprint
1) check for doubles at
2) input the data according to the following format:
- one line summary description (portuguese / english)
- main URL
- Description: (one short paragraph minimum in English; the rest can be in Portuguese language)
- Diiscussions: extracts of any additional material adding insights to the logic of the projects
- More Information: (any links for further material on the project)
- Related projects: list similar projects with links
- Contact: (includes address)
- Tag: use freeform keywords of your choice
- Proposed Categories: areas of activitity: Business / Politics / Spirituality / Movements etc .. ; category tags are verified by maintainers/editors
Physical places that collaborated on the WikiSprint:
[ Rio de Janeiro ]
With the assistance of Vincius Brocha:
- Amaivos (ngo downtown Rio that promotes interculture & religious understandings)
- Moleque de Ideias ( an IT and kids open apprenticeship space in Niteroi)
- MJV Tecnologia & Inovação
- Rio Junior
Criteria (for inclusion)
In very general terms, you are welcome to include any project that has a significant participative or collaborative aspect. We aim to find such projects that redefine the way business is done and how the market operates; the way government is done or how the state operates; the way society functions and how civil society operates. The latter includes the wide field of cultural expression as well.
More strictly defined, this is what defines peer production projects in the narrow sense:
- open input: contributions must be ‘permissionless’
- participatory production and governance process: contributors must have a say ; transparency and openness of the collaborative processes
- commons-oriented output: the results of the collaborative must be shareable, i.e. use of commons-oriented licences
However, for the purpose of the projects, which is also interested in all hybrid and mixed projects that invite external collaboration, these criteria should be seen as polarities.
Projects that enter within the scope of this mapping project are:
- commons-based peer production
- open innovation, co-creation, co-design
- crowdsourcing and crowdfunding
- participatory governance and political projects such as participatory legislation, planning, budgetting
- projects focused on openness, such as open data etc ..
- projects focused on wider inclusion and participation of broader layers of the population
- ethical economy projects where profit-making is subsumed to wider “for-benefit” considerations, i.e. social economy, ethical economy, solidarity economy
- any project involving a measure of mutualization of knowledge (open source, free licenses) and infrastructure (collaborative consumption) ; including workplaces (coworking, hackerspaces, fablabs, etc ..)
- projects involving distributed infrastructures such as meshworks for communication, distributed machinery such as 3D Printing
- political and social movements that support any of the above
What we would like to find
- the best p2p/collaborative/participative blogs in Brazil
- the best p2p/collaborative/participative Facebook and other Social Media group pages, especially on alternative social media,
- the best p2p/collaborative/participative twitter feeds
- the best public intellectuals, grassroots individuals and groups, and thinkers/doers in this area
- the best books and articles, including eBooks on the topic
- the best audio and video material
- the best resource directories including other mapping initiatives
Items that should be added
Volunteers sought to add the following: